EU Cookie Directive
Implementation of the EU-Directive 2009/136/EC concerning the processing of personal data and the protection of privacy
in the electronic communications sector, also known as Cookie- or ePrivacy directive.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file that is saved on your computer by a website you access. Cookies save small pieces of information such as your preferred language or other user-individual settings of a webpage. If you access the same webpage again, your web browser will transmit the information stored in the cookies to the website. Thus, the website can display information that is tailored to your individual profile.
What are the different types of cookies?
A cookie can be classified by its lifespan and the domain to which it belongs.
By lifespan, a cookies are categorized in the following way:
session cookie which is erased when the user closes the browser or
persistent cookie which remains on the user’s computer/device for a pre-defined period of time.
According to the domain to which they belong, there are:
first-party cookies which are set by the web server of the visited page and share the same domain
As a user you have full control over whether you would like to accept or deny cookies or even accept only the cookies of certain websites, offers or services. These individual settings can be configured in your web browser. The deactivation of cookies may, however, lead to certain websites not being fully functional.
This is how you find the respective browser settings in the three most popular web browsers:
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Choose “Tools” and then “Internet Options”.
3. Click the “Privacy” tab and move the slider to choose your settings.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox.
2. Click the menu button and then select “Options”.
3. Select “Privacy”.
4. Under “Firefox will” you have to choose “Use custom settings for history”.
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click the menu button and navigate to “Options”.
3. Select “Under the Bonnet” and locate the “Privacy” section.
4. Click the “Content settings” button and adjust your preferred settings.